Monday, May 3, 2010

Sophia I Wanna be ya

I've mentioned her before and now I'll mention her again, Sophia Kokosalaki creates wearable but unique pieces that have inspired me by how she incorporates her cultural Greek roots into her designs. Her design aesthetic is very similar to mine and I love the way she uses detail and fabric manipulation to create modern and intricate garments


As part of our capsule collection it is vital to take into account who our brand's major competitors may be.  After putting much thought into this and comparing myself and my designs with countless designers I've decided that Sophia Kokosalaki's consumer is very similar to my target consumer. 
Not only do our designs involve a lot of fabric manipulation and are made of delicate fabrics like chiffon,  they also both suit a certain mindset of a woman wanting to look feminine and modern.    Pattern is used sparingly however effectively and the shapes of the garments always are a little bit twisted and unique.

Even though I adore Sophia Kokosalaki I need to differentiate my product from hers to make it desirable to my target consumer. Firstly my designs are different because instead coming from the point of view of Greek culture my designs are inspired by Australian art culture, making it even more interesting due to the lack of knowledge from overseas. Furthermore i want to create less dresses than Sophia and focus a lot on coats and pants as well as tights.  Lastly Kokosalaki uses a lot of delicate fabrics in her designs, i want to incorporate stretch wear as well as light silk chiffon's and add a bit more colour than her neutral colour palettes.  

Make sure you have a look at her website: http://www.sophiakokosalaki.com/
love Phoebe

No comments:

Post a Comment