Saturday, March 20, 2010

Lost and Found


I've spent my whole weekend cutting, pasting and drawing. Fashion is not glamorous. Unfortunately my journal is starting to break , hopefully this means i will hit a break through.  Although I'm still unsure of my final designs i am pretty clear on my concept, so here it is: (excuse me if this feels a bit like deja vu)

Australian Aboriginal artwork is the longest traditional art form in the world. For a nation like a Australia who still doesn't possess a strong identity, its pretty amazing the esoteric culture that has been disregarded. Through the use of bold lines, abstract symbols and rich colours, Aborignal artwork is unique and immediately recognisable. Aboriginal's use art as a way of connecting the past to the present and it is deeply ingrained in their spirituality. The themes of Aboriginal artworks are usually homogenous, however no matter the subtleness of the details, every piece possesses a strong legacy.
After looking at countless pieces of aboriginal artwork in order to develop this concept I've been able to design a lot of swimwear. The hardest part now is deciding where i want to take the final collection and what the main design features are that i will use. At this point in time I'm leaning towards a lot of padding, rope detail and cups. However this changes everytime i open my journal. Sampling different parts of the designs has definitely helped me think about my designs and how they will work, so I'm continuing to try and create samples for things i'm unsure about.
For now, The end is not yet in sight.

love Phoebe

No comments:

Post a Comment