Saturday, March 13, 2010

An elusive identity



I have the makings of a concept!

After endless thoughts and brainstorming I've finally come up with something! (strangely enough it has nothing to do with what I've spent the last 3 weeks researching)

oh well if that's what it takes right?


After flipping through countless magazines I've seen the constant theme of Australian beach culture reoccur. I also looked at a book on Australian Style by Harper's Bazaar which got me thinking about what Australian identity really is.

Because Australia is a relatively young nation, we lack the history and culture that European countries and older nations possess and celebrate. But is this really true? Maybe our identity has simply been lost.

I want to focus on Australia's identity crisis and how we use superficial stereotypes to promote our nation's character instead of focusing on the deep history and culture that has been lost. Searching through a book on Australian Aboriginal artwork I found this quote that inspired me to go forward with this concept:

'Art is a means by which the present is connected with the past and human beings with the supernatural world. Art activates the powers of the ancestral beings. art expresses individual and group identity and the relationships between people and the land'

Wally Caruana in Aboriginal Art 1993

I think the concept fits in really well with the brief as well as with 2011 swimwear trends. I'm going to keep looking at Aboriginal artwork as the lines and detail are simple yet are so distinct from any other type of art.
Its going to be challenging but also effective (fingers crossed).
love Phoebe

No comments:

Post a Comment